University of Texas Online Program for theSuperintendency (UTOPS)
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) offers four courses leading to superintendent certification. Each 4-credit course includes a field-based experience/practicum component to ensure candidates have a thoroughly developed professional portfolio upon completion of the program. The program prepares candidates for superintendent certification in Texas, and courses are aligned with the SBEC (State Board for Educator Certification) Superintendent Competencies and national ELCC (Educational Leadership Constituent Council) leadership standards.
Program candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of a master's program;
- Successful completion of Principal/Mid-Management Certification;
- Employed by a public school district, or demonstrate access to a public school district.
The online courses will be highly interactive and will maximize opportunities for productive participation. Faculty who have superintendent and central office leadership experiences in districts of various size will teach the courses.
Among the instructional methods utilized for the online courses will include:
- Problem-based learning and action research projects;
- Professional portfolio development;
- Critiques of relevant research;
- Peer review of educational leadership resources;
- Integration of field experiences supervised by practicing Superintendents in collaboration with university professors.
Among the educational benefits will be:
- Preparation of quality superintendents who demonstrate mastery of learner-centered leadership standards endorsed by the major state and national accrediting agencies (i.e., SBEC and ELCC/NCATE);
- Effective preparation for passage of state Superintendent certification or licensure exams;
- Development of an online repository of effective and practical resources for superintendents.
Students admitted to UT Permian Basin in the Superintendent Certification program may apply for the BEST Scholarship which pays $225 per course towards tuition.
- *EDLD 6462 District School Finance
- *EDLD 6464 Educational Change and Design of Facilities
- *EDLD 6473 Superintendency and the School Board
- *EDLD 6475 Education and Sociocultural Change
*Field-based experience required for all four courses. Field-based experiences serve as elements of a comprehensive, integrated practicum that will provide each superintendent candidate with a thoroughly developed professional portfolio.
To see which courses are currently open for registration, link to the Course Schedule and select Superintendent Certificate (UTOPS) from the UTOC Program menu and click the Search button. You may also use the Course Inventory to view a complete list of all courses currently being offered in the program, as well as the semesters in which they have been offered.
Chair, Education Leadership and Counseling
- How many credits are required to complete the program?
The program consists of four (4-credit) courses for a total of 16 credits.
- How much will it cost?
Students are billed by UTPB for courses. Links to estimated tuition and fees and campus tuition and fee information can be found on the Cost and Financial Aid page.
- Are campus visits required?
UTOPS will be offered predominantly using the Internet, however, courses include a field-based experience/practicum component.
- How can I find more information?
Please contact the advisor above if you have additional questions about the program.
To participate in UTOPS, you must apply to and be accepted by UT Permian Basin.