University of Texas Online Consortium

Master of Arts in Education-Special Education

The Master of Arts in Education-Special Education offered by the University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) prepares proficient and skilled professionals for high-demand careers in special education school settings and other related disability fields. This 36-hour program is designed for certified K-12 educators wanting to prepare for a career in special education.


image of woman sitting at table with laptop

SBEC logo


The UT Permian Basin School of Education certification programs are fully accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).



CAEP logo

The UT Permian Basin School of Education proudly achieved full accreditation by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)


Link to a list of the courses required for the program. To see which courses are currently open for registration, link to the Course Schedule, select Special Education (MA) from the UTOC Program menu and click the Search button. You may also use the Course Inventory to view a complete list of all courses currently being offered in the program, as well as the semesters in which they have been offered.

Participating Institution and Advisor

UT Permian Basin

Lindsey Balderaz, Ph.D

Senior Lecturer, Special Eduation

(432) 552-2135

Degree Awarded: Master of Arts in Education-Special Education

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How much will it cost?
    Students are billed by UTPB for courses. Links to campus tuition and fee information, and estimated tuition and fees can be found on the Cost and Financial Aid page.
  • Are campus visits required?
    The courses for the master’s degree are offered online. (Those seeking the diagnostician certification or initial certification will need additional courses offered at UTPB.)
  • Can this 36-hour master’s degree serve as sufficient credential for someone with a non-education based bachelor’s to begin teaching special education? Does a student need to be already certified in teaching to apply?
    The program provides a strong base for those interested in obtaining initial certification as a special education teacher. An initial teaching certificate is not a requirement for application. However, students seeking initial certification in special education may be required by the state of Texas to take additional practicum courses not offered as part of this online program. Please contact the program coordinator for more information.
  • Does the online program offer additional coursework for Professional Educational Diagnostician licensure?
    No. The program provides a strong base for those interested in becoming educational diagnosticians, although this online program does not offer the full suite of courses necessary for certification as a diagnostician. (The additional nine credits for diagnostician certification are offered on the UTPB campus during the summer on a two year cycle/odd numbered years. Please contact the program coordinator for more information.)
  • Is the UT Permian Basin School of Education accredited?
    The School of Education at The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). This accreditation covers initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator preparation programs. NCATE is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation to accredit programs for the preparation of teachers and other professional school personnel.
  • What does the Master’s Project involve and when should it be taken in the sequence?
    The Master's Project is a culminating experience in which students implement an action research project. Students work closely with their major advisor to design and complete the project.
  • Do school districts offer incentives to teachers moving into the field of special education?
    Districts quite often (but not always) offer additional compensation for teachers in special education, particularly in the area of behavior disorders.
  • How can I find more information?
    Please contact the program coordinator listed above if you have additional questions about the program.

Getting Started

To participate in the program you must apply to and be accepted by UT Permian Basin.